Monday 2 November 2015

It's worth every cent.

Recently I have been fortunate enough to have participated in a 'gathering of the clans', so to speak. A collection of Wong Shun Leung schools from around Australasia and Asia came together to share ideas, and strengthen the bonds of kinship that WC always lays claims to...and often falls short of.

The weekend was touted to be an extraordinary time, and it didn't fall short.
A collection of Wong Shun Leung's own students were all giving talks on their perspective on this detail, or that idea and it was refreshing to have such highly skilled practitioners reiterating the importance of the fundamentals while illustrating the evidence, and being open to rolling (in chi sao) with anyone interested. They allowed us to see what they were talking about, and to experience it.

These pillars of 'our' community were, firstly and foremost, Chan Kim Man. Chan Sifu was a student of Wong Sifu, and sadly a member of an ever decreasing circle of knowledge, those taught directly by Wong Sifu.
Chan Sifu is a remarkable man of personality and character. At no time did he exhibit the negative aspects I've seen in other 'Masters', such as the mystery and sifuism we hear more about these days, or the arrogance of people prone to making claims. I dare say, he was even humble.
Also in attendance and in no particular order, were: John Smith from Illawarra, New South Wales; Enzo Verratti of Brunswick, Melbourne; David Peterson, with his school in Malaysia; and Darren Elvey of Melbourne Central.

Each teacher brought their perspective to eager students and opened many eyes to the complex details that lie below the surface of our beautiful and simple system.
More importantly, each Sifu continued to champion Wong Sifu's core teaching. Simplicity. Being Direct. And being Efficient. Test your structure, test your theories. Prove the idea works the same way each time and that there isn't an easier alternative requiring less energy.

Like Chan Sifu, John Smith, Enzo Verratti and David Peterson were also direct students of Wong Sifu, with Darren Elvey being a student of David Peterson. While their circle may diminish overtime, (and I hope they all make this a long and drawn out process), I am comforted to know that the torch is carried on by teachers like Darren Elvey. His command and understanding of the system attributes laurels both to his teacher, and his self. Darren approaches the system with an analytical mind and an ever growing curiosity. He's open to any idea, and is more than willing to test it.

Surely that's enough gushing about the teachers...for now.

So what did I get out of this opportunity to listen to 5 masters and roll with so many different people?
...So much...

The differences in teaching style varied from the Hong Kong concentration on chi sao; to drills training connection to the waist and hips allowing for power from the ground; to not bothering with drills and training within the application; to analyzing the situation, examining the physical laws in play, and the biomechanical responses involved therein.
Such a vastly varied and wonderfully colourful approach reached into the core of me and gave me a shake up!
Where once I was dealing with potentially 2 entries in chi sao and one or two responses, I'm now endowed with any number of potential ideas that previously I couldn't even picture, let along apply. And strangely they're physically easier to execute than many of my previous attempts.

I've spent so much time working on my Bong Sao that I've neglected some super-effective and ridiculously fun hands such as Laan Sao, Jut Sao and Wu Sao (forgive the spelling, I'll get better as I learn more).
And now, after such a short time, I'm pulling them out in chi sao. This is a huge step for me.
I haven't had the confidence to push my learning curve.
Now I'm inspired!
And I'm going to Keep On Pushin'. As I get better so will my training partners, and as they excel, so will I.
It's a beautiful relationship we're building here.


*edited 12/01/16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...