Monday 22 February 2016

A week in paradise, perfect for Kung Fu!

Sup kids, how's practice going?

I've recently returned from a week in Kiama, Australia, training with both John Smith and Greg LeBlanc.
With respect, both men are Sifu's of high calibre and knowledge, who can add insight to your current thought process and change your perspective on something you thought you 'knew'.
Greg is a top student of Gary Lam's and thus referred to John as Sisuk, being his teachers brother. I could really say the same things about both teachers and praise them until i gush rainbows, so I'll stick to some of the things that stood out about each and try to paint my deeper experience as a verbal mosaic with which you can create your own internet-opinion.
Failing that I'll just go on and on about how awesome they are.


Going into this I expected to go over only for a weekend seminar with two high level teachers.
I was a little intimidated by the prospect, not having a great deal of confidence in my own ability. This isn't meant to reflect badly on the people I learn from, more a reflection of how we can hold ourselves back by denying ourselves a little pride.

I'd seen recently that Gary Lam had been introducing ideas into his WC that veered from WSL's teachers, such as internal energies etc, however I hadn't paid too much attention as I had my own shit to worry about. He's been in the scene for a while and will likely have his reasons for doing it. The REAL issue is that i listened to opinions forged by people who did not have first hand experience. I forgot my own mantra...opinions are merely opinions.
Because of this foolishness I expected a few woo-woo ideas from Greg. In a way it worked out positively for me as I was pleasantly surprised by what I encountered.
Firstly, and most importantly, what lovely human being he is.
I've met a few Chunner's in my time, most of them from NZ, and most of them being complete douche bags. They gain some skill and imagine their rock-hammer is actually a sledge. It ain't buddy, and remember there's always someone out there that can take you down a notch.
Well Greg...well shit, he wasn't this at all. He's a humble cat that still considers himself a student, willing to listen, and learn from, everyone he meets. Often you'll meet people like this and consider them to be insincere, nobody could be this nice. Something just doesn't feel right about them.
Greg exudes sincerity and a genuine desire to see everyone progress to their potential.
And it only gets better...this man has power and structure in each of his strikes. To say he is powerful is to suggest it might be a bit dark in a mine shaft.
I'm a big man and can physically affect most people's structures, however Greg could disrupt my momentum and structure without a great deal of effort. He wasn't using his strength, he was merely using WC's concepts as they're meant to be used.

John is a student of Wong Sifu. He touched hands with the great man and listened to his stories, learned from his experiences and passes these lessons on to a new generation.
John was working the week of the seminar, and still offered to put on extra classes for anyone who turned up early. The seminar was on Friday and Saturday...I arrived Monday.
We got in contact after I'd arrived in Kiama, and he suggested we catch up that night for some training. I was NEVER going to say no to such an offer.
I expected a few people to be there, but it was just me. I almost shat.
John then spent 2ish hours taking me through simple ideas I thought I had a good understanding of...low elbows, connection to the waist, hitting the target with all of my body mass. Sheesh, I was, hmmmm....wrong.
He took me through really interesting concepts about bridging and structure, maintaining my line while attacking my opponents core, and helping me to increase my advantage through my mass. Reminding me that the best defence to a punch is to hit your opponent.
When I walked out of his Kwoon that evening, I'd already improved. I was fortunate to experience this same scenario throughout the week.
Each evening the group would get a little bigger and I'd get a little better.

In the entire week there was only one injury...and that happened to me on the last day.
I got a tiny cut on my nose from my opponent. I have to fess up and admit it wasn't my opponents fault. I was pressing him during an exercise where I'm testing him then throwing random punches and Mr Opponent has to figure out how to bridge, getting the best line and affect and not being caught out. Brother O.P.P is a skilled practitioner and I knew he could take it. I also knew he didn't get a lot of opportunity to defend against a HUGE adversary without John's skills. IE one that would through daft shit that a trained man wouldn't, and yet might still chance an impact.
While pressing him and driving him backward, I started to lose my wind. I'd been training for 5 days, this was the 6th, and I was exhausted. My body started to hunch and react differently than it should. So basically I put my face where it shouldn't have been. Now I wear this as a badge of honour! All that time and only this little hiccup...and the ladies love scars right?

The further I travel with my Ving Tsun, the more my ideas are being turned on their head.
Before being introduced to VT, my experience with WC had been unhealthy...I guess I'd become skeptical of the motives of men. And yet every teacher I've encountered have been decent human beings. They all share everything they can, they encourage questions...and they don't condescend.

Besides learning from two great men, I met and made new brothers of so many interesting individuals. Only one other student was a dick. And even then, we sorted our differences over a beer and all was good. We made the choice to not train together, and neither of us lost out in this deal.
In my last school there were people I hated. I don't get that weight anymore.

Remember, regardless of the style or system, you don't have to put up with McDojo bullshit, cult scenarios, or bullying behaviour. The world is now flush with option and possibility. Just down the road you may find the school best suited to you. Don't put up with second rate behaviour from your teacher, or yourself. If you have to move for it, maybe thats for the best...they say travel is good for the soul. What I really think they're saying is that travelling can grow you as a person and help you discover things about yourself you wouldn't have otherwise. Couple that with training in a positive environment you consistently want to return too...well, how can you not grow into a better person?

It cost me money to attend another country to learn. What I got in return is far beyond anything I could put a number on. I feel. The sleeper has begun to awaken.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...