Monday 7 December 2015

Block by block...I'm tearing this wall down.

I still get amazed by WC even though I've been in its thrall for somewhere around the 15 year mark.
I've met some amazing people whom, without WC, I wouldn't have met. Certain connections wouldn't have happened, certain adventures wouldn't have been had, and certain self-realizations wouldn't have been achieved. I'd almost suggest it was fate or kismet...if I didn't take greater responsibility for my own life.

Without all of these positives, and yup...even the negatives...I may not have found the Wong Shun Leung system. It didn't exist in Auckland when I first began my journey and, to my best knowledge, the two WSL schools now in residence are a first. I know a number of Kiwi's in Australia who train our system, but they've all stayed on that side of the ditch.
Now we have a WSL school descended from Gary Lam, and another (ours) from David Peterson. The thing that is more important to me is that we get along. This is fantastic! We can share each others resources, and build the potential for a social environment. The GL's have some lads in competition, and we're happy to go support them, and we concentrate on application for the 'street'.

I like that we get along and it gives me hope that more WC schools might open themselves up to the potential of friendship.
I recently reacquainted myself with a chap I met in one of Bruce Cheng's LMK classes. We had mutual facebook friends so when we'd lost contact it was only going to be a matter of time before we caught up again. And while we're of different lineage, we're definitely of the same mind in regards to the foolishness that constitutes Auckland's current WC bullshit.
We were tentative at first, its easy to give offense when talking WC if you're not entirely sure where the other person is coming from. It'd been a few years and there was just as much likelihood that either of us and devolved into a douche, and it didn't take long for us both to realise we hadn't.
While we talked we watched some Tai Chi off to the left, and what looked to be a family style kung fu off to the right...and it was all topped off by a blue sky and a warm, floral breeze. In other words...what a fucking choice way to start the day!

Since then my cousin has returned to our ranks after participating in several cultural exchanges around the world. Typically, this is the part of the tale where everything falls apart and I have a good'ole man-blubber.
Sorry...no.

Since then training has been going even better.
That gawddamn-dreaded Bong Sao has continued to improve. Bit by bit it has proceeded to be sent in the right direction, as opposed to the chicken wing flapping I used to perform. As a result I've been able to use the Bong Sao to be the central hatstand upon which I can hang other ideas.
Whereas 3 months ago I was struggling with Chi Sao and only marginally understanding Dan Chi Sao, I'm now rolling with confidence and feeling the defensive holes, both in my side of the transaction, and my opponents.
I've even been able to slip a few past my senior brothers!
In 'Ye Olde School', seniors would typically get their knickers in a twist if a junior had the audacity to improve. Now its a concern if you Can't see an individual's improvements. We each, selfishly, want the n00bs to excel. We want them to get good asap, so they can challenge us and push us to improve. What's more is that we all provide for different strengths and approaches. The benefits available to each person are huge.

Just the other night we had a small class, three seniors and three juniors, and all of the juniors had been having trouble with jaam sao, bong sao, and certainly chi sao. However this night everybody kicked-off.
After a bit of Dan Chi Sao and a few adjustments their lines were better, and there wasn't too much force being used. So we step it up to chi sao and wow...they really pulled it together. I'd struggled with chi sao, mainly due to my attendance, or lack thereof. Regardless of this, chi sao is a difficult practice when you're first introduced to it. And yet our little team were pulling through, and only one of them having almost been with us for a year.
It's silly...but damn I was proud of them! They've all put in a lot of effort and now they're starting to see the payoff, which means this is a special time. If we keep them moving forward they're going to start picking things up left, right and centre...and soon they'll be able to explain why these things are working.

It's really gratifying seeing someone who struggled with our Young Idea, and was able to push on through to partial recognition. Soon I'll be having to compete with them...what an exciting time!

And none of them have even ASKED about Biu Jee! (A subtle reference to the myth that Biu Jee is where the secret magic of WC resides, and a less-than-subtle reference to how students research WC and want to know all about it before learning chum kiu...Look on youtube kids! there's heaps to choose from!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...