Monday 21 December 2015

Research is my friend.

When i started WC there were a handful of different schools in town. There was the William Cheung Lineage, two Lo Man Kam schools and a Leung Ting school...meaning there were a handful of teachers available, only I had no idea there were such things as lineage and assumed it was all just like Karate with its different schools of thought, but still essentially the same. What I learned was that in some ways i was right, in some i was wrong. Below is an article by a Karateka, a kiwi in Japan, expressing some of his issues with a similar issue. Karate politics having more to do with tradition vs the McDojo approach, and while the subject matter is somewhat different, the difficulties are the same.

http://andrebertel.blogspot.co.nz/2015/11/budo-karate-true-or-non-budo-karate.html

I chose the school I was going to attend by finding one being attended by friends, this ended up being what I thought was a branch of LMK close to where I lived. I'd later find that this was a mistake, though not because it was an incomplete LMK system mixed with Leung Ting/Ip Ching flavorings, no...it was because the teacher was a lunatic.
The story goes that my original teacher didn't learn the entire LMK system and had a falling out with his teacher. Take this with a grain of salt as none of the original players have ever told this to me directly, its all hearsay at the moment, and any party involved will be biased in one direction or the other.
So my teacher had also started 'learning' from an LT/IC guy (a teacher originally trained in LT but transitioned into IC, a fellow by the name of Ron Heimberger) because of one reason, or another. I could hazard guesses, or make something up based on my olde teachers personality...but when I try typing it out it all ends up reading too ridiculous to be real. Just ridiculous.
So the system I ended up learning over 8 years turned out to be bits and pieces of 3 lineages, with theories from several others.
As if WC wasn't complex enough!

Considering the quality of Wing Chun available, and how few options there were in Auckland at the time, it was merely a choice of different mistakes I could make. To say I chose the lesser of the evils would be inaccurate, unless one was referring about choice by social influence. I chose this particular school  because I already had friends learning there...meeting strangers was NOT something I was keen on.

I had no idea what the difference between the different lineages were at the time, nor did I realise that there were so many variations of WC, teaching styles, or emphases.
I supposed the hidden blessing is that without experiencing these events i would unlikely be in the position I am now, a student of the WSL system where knowledge and experience is freely shared and you're encouraged to test theories. Nothing is taken as a given, and belief isn't required.

If I'd taken the time to research a bit, and try a few extra schools, I would probably be in a different situation and learning something completely different.
Regardless, it would probably still put me onto the WSL schools in Melbourne, and maybe I could've planned my life around WC a little bit better. Perhaps now I would be a teacher with my own school.
Regardless, I've learned my lesson and I'm not shedding any tears. I'll acknowledge the hard times I've experienced and use those as inspiration for avoiding it in the future.
An individual's experience traversing through WC should be a highlight in the story of their lives. Some of the smartest and best people I've met have been through WC, certainly some of the most life changing individuals.
I've still got my issues, but now at least these issues are common ailments and not the cultish mind-fuckery I'd been working at eradicating.

Just remember that when YOU go looking for a school, be skeptical and be logical.
Avoid mysticism and woo-woo magic. We learn these martial skills to  protect ourselves from threats, we need to KNOW that a particular technique/concept works. The last thing I would want is for any of you to create a belief system around your supposed ability to defend yourself, and those around you, to your detriment. No level of belief will stop someone punching you in the face, so you better know that your tan sao will work, that your fook sao will be effective, and should you need to punch face...that it works and your attacker ceases.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...