Monday 11 May 2015

What's our responsibility in the classroom?

Last night I was privileged enough to experience a fellow students getting-it-right moment.
And you know what it was with? Bong Sao. Bloody Bong Sao.
I have a dislike/hate/have-to-appreciate-it relationship with Bong Sao. I find the current incarnation that I'm learning, to be very difficult to get right.
I also love that moment when I get it right. Or when i get something else right, like maintaining control of the centre, having only enough forward intention to register when my opponent moves...but not enough to telegraph my intentions.
What I love more is watching a brother/sister struggling with something and then having that aha! moment. Sure its not perfectly executed, but their ability to execute the manoeuvre increases and they learn faster. You see this light break through the frustration and my heart does a little jump. I'm sure dopamine is flowing through me now. Its a little wonder that I get to experience.

And this reminds me...I know my responsibilities to myself, but what's my responsibility to my brothers and sisters in class?
Truth be told...I'm more responsible for them, than myself.

It's my place to help them become as good as possible.
It's my place to encourage them.
It's my place to support them.

And my reasons are all selfish.

I love seeing my friends and kung fu whanau (maori word for family) improve. The moment they get better, the more they can push me. The more of my 'tells' i can share with them, the more they'll help me disguise them and close the openings i provide. One such is that an injury has left me finding it difficult to get my left elbow close to my body. In chi sao this can allow folk to get through my defence. I've been covering this but utilising my footwork to compensate. It's no ideal situation but what are you gonna do? So i point it out, I ask them to keep it in mind so that they press me. The make it hard. I'll share any trick i know...because its the unknown that tests us all.

We're a fairly lax group. We don't bow as we enter the kwoon, we don't bow to each other, and we don't supplicate to our class leader. However we look each other in the eye, we shake hands, and we're honest with each other.
In class I had a misunderstanding with another student. It almost turned into a passive-aggressive argument about how we don't care so we can move on. Instead, i pulled us back and we addressed the issue. It was purely a misunderstanding about something we'd misheard, with us both being at fault. And because we addressed this, talked it through, and continued with the drill....we moved forward. We improved what we were doing while improving our relationship.

We're obligated to be honest with each other for our own advancement. How can you respect someone who won't engage with the difficult. WE ARE WING CHUN!!! We don't go back. Adversity is where we burn away the flowery bullshit and are left with the bones of a dangerous set of concepts.
The moment we're too caught up with politics, egos and kowtowing to learn is the moment that your WC has reverted to the cult mentality so prevalent amongst teachers and classes. Are we here to learn, or here to kiss ass? Everyone has a right to an opinion...but no one has a right to tell me I'm wrong without showing me why.

Despite not knowing many, I still feel kinship with anyone learning WC and I want the best for them. Sadly I'm not sure they want the best for themselves.

<Edit: I've been kindly pointed towards some resources for improving my blog. I'm no writer, and I actually like rambling, but I'll take it on board and work on improving. Keep the advice coming!!>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...