Tuesday 5 May 2015

Why are you doing Ving Tsun?

If I could get more girls to participate in Ving Tsun I would.
The Wong system is the only system I've experienced that gives girls, and women, the best perception of an actual violent interaction, within the VT universe.

I've seen girls and women of all ages enthusiastically kicking in Tae Kwon Do, breaking boards in Karate, 'rolling' in BJJ, and somersaulting in Capoeira...in all of them they're succeeding.
In New Zealand I've been disappointed. This can't be a reflection of all WC schools in NZ, I've visited very few...and yet all I've seen is a big pile of meh.

Why is this? I'm sincerely interested.

The link below states some pretty horrifying statistics.

https://womensrefuge.org.nz/WR/Domestic-violence/Statistics.htm

Firstly, I don't know enough about the do's and dont's of such a terrible subject. There are people better suited to discussing this, with greater perspectives of the issues involved and more than likely these same people will be less likely to come up with a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm only airing my opinions, based on limited experience and knowledge. I have seen violence against women.
I don't want to trivialise anyone's experiences.
In fact it isn't even really that only women are at risk. Because they're not. Our children are. Our men  are. It isn't a gender specific issue.
But I love my mum. Before I was born my mum traveled the world, had experiences, met strangers...and could've been put into a situation such as might be shown by those stats. Beyond this, their value as people can't be quantified...and I think this lets a lot of us forget that. Despite our technological advances we're potentially <insert timely generalization>  more endangered by each other than ever.

We're no longer savages running through field and forest.
We're no longer tribal hominids hunting mountain and jungle.

The likelihood that you'll be attacked on the street is probably low. You'll probably never experience the violence. You're probably fine.
The less prepared you are, the more likely you are to be hurt. There's no point in carrying a weapon, as they're apparently more likely to be taken and used on you. So what's the solution?

Preparation. Learn yourself something. It doesn't have to be VT, however I am quite biased towards it.
Train for application. Worry about internal stuff in your own time, when you're safe. Get used to being punched in the face, to falling over, to rough terrain. Get used to a realistic use of force in an attack.
Understand that real life will never be like the class room. The ideal punch will rarely allow you to deflect and diffuse. Assume you're going to get hit. I once had my teeth put through my lip when I was attacked at high school and it took me a few minutes to realise what was going on. That gave my attacker time to get away and afterwards I felt useless, damaged and broken. Sure I had a hole in my lip, but it was the gaping wound in my self-esteem that concerned me the most. Being hobbled by fear is sux.

I was brought up to think of women as weak and needing a man to look after them...this is what school taught me. My mother taught me about strength, drive, and ultimately that my life is my own. She's a hero to me. I'd like to believe I respect women, however I'm not perfect and I have my moments of capitulating to the stereo type and wanting to be the White Knight.

Boys are encouraged towards rough'n'tumble.
Girls and women should be encouraged to get into martial arts for personal protection. 'Should' is a dirty word...who am I to tell you what to do?

I'm someone who's been attacked.
I'm someone who only gets picked on by stronger opponents.
I've been the one who didn't expect to be physically hurt and was.
I. Am. Experience.

Learn to become the shield.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts...